FY 2016-2017 City Council Goals & Objectives
1. Develop and implement responsible fiscal policy that ensures long-term financial sustainability.
- 1.1 Secure additional long-term General Fund revenues by enhancing and diversifying the City's sales tax base.
- 1.2 Develop and consider options to increase the City's Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT or "hotel room tax") rate.
- 1.3 Prepare a long-term fiscal sustainability report with strategies to meet future community needs and associated maintenance, renovation, and improvement costs.
- 1.4 Conduct a City-wide User Fee Study to determine full cost recovery levels of all City services.
- 1.5 Identify subsidized programs and consider policy options to eliminate or reduce subsidies.
- 1.6 Prepare a use analysis for the Diamond Bar Center to determine historical trends and identify revenue generating opportunities, including actively marketing the facility to the business community for weekday conference use.
- 1.7 Return maintenance responsibilities to the five homeowner's associations in Lighting & Landscape
Assessment District (LLAD) #41.
2. Pursue transportation infrastructure improvements that mitigate traffic congestion in Diamond Bar.
- 2.1 In cooperation with the City's project partners, complete_the 57/60 Confluence Project.
- 2.1.1 Complete construction of the westbound SR-60 on-ramp from Grand Avenue (Phase One).
- 2.1.2 Commence construction of the westbound SR-60 off-ramp and auxiliary lane to Grand Avenue
- 2.1.3 Complete design of loca l improvements at Grand/Golden Springs and Diamond Bar Golf Course frontage and prepare for construction (Phase Three).
- 2.1.4 Secure Construction funding for the 57/60 freeway mainline improvements, bypass connectors, and
Grand Avenue bridge widening project (Phase Four).
- 2.2 In cooperation with the City's project partners, secure funding and complete the 57/60 "big fix" project, which includes missing connectors and carpool lanes.
- 2.1.1 Complete a feasibility study to determine the preferred and most effective options.
- 2.1.2 Continue federal advocacy efforts necessary to secure funding.
- 2.3 In cooperation with the City's project partners, complete the Lemon Avenue on/off ramp project.
- 2.3.1 Commence construction P1 Qtr. FY 2016-17.
- 2.4 Advocate for transportation solutions that are equitable in distribution of goods movement traffic and maintain opposition to SCAG's proposed east/west freight corridor in the San Jose Creek Wash.
- 2.5 Optimize traffic flow on the City's arterial streets (Grand Ave.,Diamond Bar Blvd., and Golden Springs Dr.).
- 2.5.1 Implement the adaptive traffic control system.
3. Implement a long-term economic development policy strategy that attracts and retains quality small businesses and national/regional credit tenants.
- 3.1 In cooperation with the property owners, redevelop the K-mart site to include new retail and restaurant
- 3.2 Pursue a well-qualified developer and begin construction on a hotel project at the former Honda property and/or Brea Canyon Road trailer/storage site.
- 3.3 In cooperation with the Regional Chamber of Commerce- San Gabriel Valley, establish an annual Diamond
Bar Restaurant Week to promote local businesses.
- 3.4 Launch the Dining Diamond Bar media campaign to promote local restaurant options.
- 3.5 Continue the Mayor's monthly meetings with local business leaders.
4. Maintain a safe, sustainable and healthy community.
- 4.1Create a community vision statement and strategic plan to guide future goals and objectives.
- 4.2 Complete a comprehensive update to the City's General Plan.
- 4.2.1 Approve a contract with the consulting firm.
- 4.2.2 Form General Plan Advisory Committee and associated subcommittees.
- 4.2.3 Begin the public engagement process.
- 4.3 Encourage participation in Neighborhood/Business Watch groups and enhance communication to groups already in place.
- 4.4 Maintain and enhance the City's emergency response readiness/preparedness through staff training/exercises/simulations, policy development and public education.
- 4.5 Begin waste hauler franchise review and negotiation process.
- 4.6 Update the City's ADA self-evaluation and transition plan.
- 4.7 Secure funding partners/Sponsors to fund a "quiet zone" on the Metrolink train line at Lemon Avenue near Walnut Elementary.
5. Provide an open, efficient and responsive local government.
- 5.1 Launch a redesigned City website that includes the latest technologies, streamlines the user experience, enhances public engagement, communication and reporting opportunities, and expands access to public information and documents.
- 5.2 Complete and launch a comprehensive update to the City's smartphone application.
- 5.3 Upon launch of the new website and smartphone application, conduct a marketing campaign to promote the new website and application as the primary sources of City information and news.
- 5.4 Make a live stream of the DBtv Government Access Channel available on the City's website.
- 5.5 Continue efforts to image and catalogue public records across departments.
- 5.6 Expand online permit and business license application portals.
- 5.7 Develop an updated e-government plan.
6. Provide and maintain high quality public facilities, infrastructure, and equipment.
- 6.1 Develop and consider options for a property-based assessment to fund parks and recreation and athletic field capital improvement projects.
- 6.2 Complete annual fiscal year Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) projects on time and within budgets.
- 6.3 Develop plans to incorporate the streetscape features of the Grand Avenue Beautification project at other arterial intersections and City entry points.
- 6.4 Complete a parks and facilities infrastructure inventory and maintenance schedule.
- 6.5 Review all current landscape maintenance contracts and update associated scope of work as necessary to meet current needs and standards.
- 6.6 Develop a fleet management and replacement plan.
7. Provide high-quality community and recreation programs and services that meet the needs of the diverse Diamond Bar community.
8. Develop and maintain a professional and effective workforce to serve the public.
- 8.1Conduct succession planning efforts to prepare for a transitioning workforce.
- 8.2 Implement a new employee performance management system, including a revised evaluation process, form and training.
- 8.3 Expand employee training and leadership opportunities that result in improved customer service.